Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
Project Accountant – Assets and Inventory (QEC-23-014), Re-advertisement
Baker Lake, Nunavut
Reporting to the Controller, the Project Accountant – Assets and Inventory is accountable for updating and maintaining inventory of fuel, lubes, significant spare parts, recording the cost of newly acquired fixed assets, tracking existing assets, recording depreciation and accounting for the disposal of fixed assets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Updates and maintains records of all corporate capital assets and inventories including additions, disposals, write-downs, and depreciation.
- Prepares audit schedules for fixed assets and inventory and follows up on audit inquiries.
- Analyzes inventory regularly for non-moving and slow-moving items and recommends appropriate action for such inventories.
- Utilizes generation reports to reconcile the Corporations accounts payable with the Petroleum Products Division accounts receivable.
- Reviews and approves pending electronic fund transfer and cheque payments
- Processes invoices for completed recoverable projects and provides updated reports as requested.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Commerce with a major in Accounting or Finance
- Professional designation such as Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) or similar or working towards CPA.
- Five years of accounting experience, preferably in a project-based environment with a utility company.
- Experience with public sector accounting is an asset.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language, and culture
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
A combination of education and equivalent experience may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $98,014.44 to $114,488.13 and a northern living allowance of $24,281.00 per annum. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including a defined-benefit pension program. In addition, subsidized staff housing is available for this position. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employee’s Union.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
To apply, send your application by email to: [email protected].
Open until filled.
Applications for this competition would be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.