Who We Are
Fasken is a leading international business law and litigation firm, and was recently voted one of Canada’s Best Employers for 2023. Our firm’s 900 lawyers are located across offices in Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Québec City, London and Johannesburg. Providing strategic and thoughtful advice in all areas of business law, our broad range of clients include close to half of the Fortune 100 companies, as well as corporate clients, government agencies, regulatory authorities, non-profit bodies and individuals. Our clients interests are paramount in all that we do and we take pride in supporting our communities. We are a place where bright, talented, and collegial people want to work together and we work hard together to achieve our goals in a collaborative and efficient way.
A Day In The Life
The Legal Assistant contributes to the efficient day-to-day operations by providing clerical and administrative support to our lawyers. This is done through exceptional practice management and client service, the ability to successfully handle competing priorities, and a high degree of confidentiality and discretion.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Handle all administrative duties such as email and calendar management, coordinating meetings, attending to conflict searches and file openings/closings, preparing expense reports, etc.
- Prepare and maintain a bring-forward system, as well as provide appropriate reminders
- Ensure all physical and electronic filing is organized and up to date on a regular basis
- Prepare engagement letters and routine correspondence
- Liaise with Billing Coordinators for the monthly production of accounts
- Provide backup coverage in the absence of other assistants or team members
- Other duties, as assigned
- Legal Assistant Certificate from an accredited post secondary institution or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of 2-3 years of litigation experience (large firm experience preferred)
- In depth understanding of business and legal terminology
- Strong technical skills using Microsoft Office 365
- Experience working with 3E, iManageWork, and DocuSign
- Ability to manage the practices of multiple lawyers
- In-depth understanding of business and legal terminology
- Client Service mindset with a “can do” attitude
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities, and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and also be a flexible team player
- Highly organized, with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
Why Work With Us
Fasken is dedicated to rewarding your contributions and encouraging your professional development. We offer a comprehensive salary and benefits package that is very competitive, together with opportunities for personal and professional growth. Our benefits include:
- A health and wellness subsidy
- An annual education & tuition reimbursement
- Flexible medical and dental benefits (effective from day one)
- Short term and long term disability insurance
- Personal days
- Employee & family assistance program
- Paid vacation and sick days
- Group retirement savings plan with matching contributions
- Monetary incentive for employee referrals
- Flexible working arrangements
- Opportunities to give back to your community through firm initiatives
- An engaging firm culture that celebrates our hardworking and dedicated people
Diversity and Inclusion
At Fasken we believe a diverse workplace comprises individuals with unique backgrounds, characteristics and qualities. An inclusive workplace creates an equitable environment where individuals are respected and where they are welcome. Fasken is committed to diversity and inclusion in all that we do.
Accessibility and Accommodation
It is important to our Firm that all its members, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check, employment and educational verification.
We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted. You can submit your application via our Careers page.