NON-CREDIT INSTRUCTOR, BASIC ACCOUNTING FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
SCHOOL OF CONTINUING EDUCATION
Competition No. 23.09.238
Casual (less than 35 hours per week)
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
September 29, 2023
MacEwan University is where caring faculty help people connect their passions to their future paths. Located in the heart of Edmonton's diverse and dynamic downtown community, and on the traditional lands of Treaty 6 First Nations and homelands of the Métis people, MacEwan is known for exceptional undergraduate learning. With its dedication to teaching excellence, informed by scholarly research, innovation, and creative activity, MacEwan provides an exceptional collaborative and supportive learning environment with a commitment to human rights, environmental sustainability, and opportunities for community engagement. We are committed to creating an equitable, diverse, inclusive, and welcoming community for all peoples, cultures, and identities.
Our comprehensive undergraduate university offers 59 programs to more than 18,000 full- and part-time students in business, communications, community and human services, design, fine and performing arts, health, humanities, natural science, nursing, public safety, and social science. Through a wide array of experiential learning opportunities, and strategic relationships in the community, we partner with others to produce graduates of stature. Along with a robust grounding in their chosen disciplines, MacEwan students are given durable life skills that prepare them to take on the world.
MacEwan’s School of Continuing Education International department is the home of innovative, hands-on training and learning opportunities. We are interested in expanding our pool of potential instructors/facilitators for our Basic Accounting for International Students program. If you enjoy sharing your knowledge and experience with others, have a passion for teaching and have expertise in this area, we encourage you to submit your resume, along with a cover letter.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Developing and delivering engaging instructional materials for basic accounting for international learners;
- Planning and organizing course content, including lectures, discussions, and assignments;
- Creating a supportive and inclusive classroom environment that encourages participation and fosters open discussions;
- Utilizing a variety of teaching methods and techniques to accommodate diverse learning styles and backgrounds;
- Providing clear explanations of accounting principles, terminology, and processes;
- Offering real-world examples and case studies to illustrate the practical applications of accounting concepts;
- Assessing and evaluating learners' progress through assignments, quizzes, exams, and other forms of assessment;
- Providing timely and constructive feedback to learners;
- Addressing questions and concerns from learners, offering additional support as needed outside of classroom hours; and
- Collaborating with program managers and assistants to enhance curriculum design and delivery based on learner feedback and industry trends.
The successful incumbent with have:
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to explain complex concepts clearly and concisely;
- Patience, empathy, and a genuine passion for teaching and facilitating learning;
- Proficiency in using educational technology and learning management systems;
- The ability to adapt teaching strategies to accommodate different learning styles and levels of understanding;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail in course planning and administration; and
- A commitment to creating an inclusive and respectful learning environment.
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business, or a related field.
- Professional experience in accounting, finance, or a related field.
- Prior experience working with individuals from different cultures, backgrounds, experiences, and learning contexts.
- Prior teaching or instructional experience, particularly in adult education, would be considered an asset.
- Equivalences may be considered.
- All courses are in person.
- Flexibility to teach during evenings or weekends as required by the program schedule.
When you become part of the MacEwan team, you will enjoy a competitive salary. Our total compensation package includes:
- Competitive base pay
- Continuous learning culture
- Opportunities for career growth
Job Type: Casual