Corporate General Counsel Part Time (20 hours/week)
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Audits: Provide support to internal and external parties for audits, including annual and other one-time audits.
- Commercial Transactions: Support during the due diligence, planning and execution of transactions, liaise with external counsel, facilitate completion of closing checklist, support internally with drafting corporate documents, create consolidated closing binders.
- Draft and review contracts.
- Managing corporate legal affairs
- Crisis Management: Act as an as-needed resource in case of crises (COVID, Cyber Breach, etc.), ranging in responsibility from long-term project management to ad hoc responsiveness, depending on organization needs.
- Dispute Resolution: Provide counselling or attend to pre-litigation dispute management activities, including negotiation of settlement and guidance on litigation avoidance, on a case-by-case basis.
- Insurance and Risk Management: Provide support on an annual basis, and as needed to internal and broker teams
- Intellectual Property: Provide as needed support for inquiries, including registrations, infringements and risk management.
- Litigation (Insured): Work with insurance appointed counsel and claims representative at insurance company regarding.
- Litigation (Uninsured): Manage all aspects of pre-suit and litigated cases in all areas of law such as commercial, product liability, employment.
- Real Estate (Commercial): Oversee and provide support in all areas relating to ownership’s real estate portfolio management
- Templates: Draft and upkeep templates
- Terms and Conditions: Draft and upkeep terms and conditions for products and services provided to external stakeholders
How You’ll Be Spending Your Time:
- Dispute and litigation management 50%
- Standardization activities (policies, templates, etc.) 20%
- Real estate related activities (leases, external advisor support) 15%
- Corporate affairs and templates 10%
- Inter-departmental activities (contract reviews, IP, insurance) 5%
What You Need To Be Successful:
- LL.B. or J.D.
- Member in Good Standing of the Law Society of Ontario
- 5 years of broad range (full-service) experience
- commercial transactional experience is more valuable than litigation experience
- Quick learner
- Issue identifier
- Creative problem solver
- Confidence in experience and capabilities