Based in Western Canada for over 110 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,300 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Our employees choose McElhanney because they value what our company does day in and day out. We are friendly, down-to-earth, collaborative, passionate, committed to safety, and contribute to the communities where we live, work, and play. Our company has a history of employees who have spent their entire careers at McElhanney – celebrating 30-, 35-, and 40-year anniversaries – thanks to rewarding projects and long-lasting relationships with amazing staff. At McElhanney, you get big company opportunities with a small company feel.
McElhanney has an opportunity for a Survey Party Chief to join our Major Project team in and around Alberta! Reporting to the Pipeline Division Managers of Regulatory, Cadastral and Engineering Design Surveys, Construction As-built Surveys, or Operations and Maintenance Surveys and the Project Manager on your assigned projects, you will direct the field crews to complete projects in an accurate, timely, and efficient manner to meet contractual and legal obligations. The successful candidate will be working on major pipeline projects throughout the full lifecycle of our client’s pipeline projects, primarily focused on providing geomatic services to our clients in the Pipeline Operations and Maintenance Division.
This is a great opportunity for a dedicated individual who enjoys working in the great outdoors, looking to gain hands on surveying experience and gain valuable experience in the pipeline industry. This is also great opportunity for an individual that is looking to grow their career in Geomatics Engineering with a well-established company.
What You Can Expect:
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Secure project work for 2+ years
- Competitive salary, including overtime
- Flexible work rotations suited to your needs. As per work rotations and schedules provided by our clients and their prime contractors, rotations and shift schedules may change based on the industry and project type you will be working on.
- Camp work, accommodations and living allowance provided based on travel requirements
- Safety Training and certification
- Safety allowance for personal protective equipment
What You’ll Bring:
- Participate and contribute to McElhanney’s Heath, Safety and Environment (HSE) program.
- Attend and participate in McElhanney’s monthly field safety meetings.
- Attend and complete all required onboarding orientations, safety training and meet or exceed all the required elements for certification.
- Prepare, participate, and contribute to the daily HSE Safe and Quality Production (SQP) plan and facilitate morning toolbox safety meetings.
- Take direction from Project Manager to understand the following: project objectives, allocated budgets, goals, schedules, and timeframes.
- Communicate scope and schedule information to team members, set expectations, and ensure project tasks are completed on time.
- Field completion of various types of surveys including pipeline, engineering, construction, and legal surveys.
- Liaise between Project Manager and client representative.
- Manage information flow from field to office and prepare clear, concise, and accurate field notes, records, and calculations.
- Ensure implementation of quality assurance, safety, and policy compliance.
- Two-year technical diploma in Geomatics or Civil Engineering with previous experience in a similar role, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Capable of working independently and taking ownership of tasks with support from office staff.
- Physical ability to work on busy sites with varied terrain and ability to lift heavy equipment.
- Confidence performing high precision surveys for layouts and control surveys.
- Experience with Civil 3D, MicroSurvey and Trimble Business Centre is an asset.
- Experience with Underground Utility Locating and Ground Disturbance is an asset.
- Must have a valid drivers license.
- Reliable personal survey truck and survey equipment available to be purchased by McElhanney is an asset.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail, good attendance, sound judgment skills, and general computer knowledge.
This role is designated as a safety sensitive position.
What Can We Offer You?
- Extended health and dental coverage, healthcare spending account, and RRSP matching.
- Maternity and parental leave top-up.
- Employee & Family Assistance Program, which offers support in person, online or over the phone.
- A workplace culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all.
- Competitive salary, participation in our generous performance bonus plan, and opportunity to join an employee-owned firm with potential share ownership.
For a full review of our projects, please visit our online portfolio: https://www.mcelhanney.com/portfolio
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to learn more. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about our recognition as Canada's Top 100 Employers (2023), visit Top Employer: McElhanney Ltd. (canadastop100.com).
Visit us on Glassdoor to learn more about our employee experience.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
McElhanney is committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion which celebrates the successes that comes from a team diverse in expertise, experiences, and perspectives. We encourage and are pleased to consider all qualified candidates, welcoming all ethnicities, religions, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age, or people with disabilities. Requests for accommodations can be made at any stage of the selection process.
Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
McElhanney is aware of activities where individuals have received fraudulent job offers. Please be advised that McElhanney will not ask applicants for any form of monetary exchange at any point in the recruitment process. To learn more visit: www.mcelhanney.com/careers/fraud-warning. The disclosure of your information in accordance with this Policy and applicable law, including to third party service providers may result in your personal information being transferred outside of Canada, including to the United States. Such transferred personal information may be subject to the laws of these other countries and the laws of other countries regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information may be different from the laws of Canada.