About the Tula Foundation
The Tula Foundation is an independent charitable foundation, rooted in British Columbia, but with global interests and outreach. We have used our facilities and resources to create a vast network of collaborators from academia, government agencies, and First Nations. Our collective efforts have catalyzed an enormous quantity of science, education, and stewardship. Our divisions include:
- Hakai Institute, an active, engaged scientific research institution with ecological observation stations on Calvert Island and Quadra Island, is known for the long long-term research we do on BC’s coast, for the scientific papers we publish. For the compelling media, we create.
- Quadra Centrefor Coastal Dialogue is the division supporting meetings and workshops wherever they may happen, as well as hosting these on Quadra Island itself with meeting space and dorms.
- Media - the Media team showcases the work we all do throughvideoand award-winningjournalism
- TheOcean Decade Collaborative Centerfor the Northeast Pacific (DCC) supports the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (the Ocean Decade 2021-2030) by facilitating partnerships and seeking connections in ocean communities.
- TulaHealth(TulaSalud) supports health systems for developing countries, particularly Guatemala’s rural indigenous communities, by providing education and resources.
With hundreds of staff and collaborators working from facilities in Victoria, Vancouver, Campbell River, Quadra Island, Calvert Island and at amazing remote sites across BC, Tula has plenty of on-premise and cloud based IT infrastructure to make sure everyone has the tools they need to continue doing amazing work.
We're currently seeking an additional skilled IT Operations Specialist. The successful candidate will support IT operations and collaborate on interesting and challenging projects, working with experts across the organization and our partners.
This full-time position is based in either Campbell River or Victoria, British Columbia and will include extensive travel to our offices, labs and field research locations across the BC central and south coasts. Travel schedules will vary throughout the year, and may include being away for up to 2 weeks at a time, often to amazing remote locations to work with great people on fun and challenging projects. The role comes with benefits, and a competitive salary that will be determined based on the successful candidate's experience. At Tula, we foster a flexible and proactive work environment that thrives on variety and diversity.
Qualifications and Skills
- Problem-solving skills, adaptability, and a positive attitude
- Combine general IT skills with interest, comfort and experience in the outdoors—working with a field research team, hiking, working from small boats in various ocean conditions, in good and bad weather
- Willing and able to learn, to improvise, to craft solutions, typically by integrating available components
- Flexible, resourceful, able to work independently or in a closely knit team
- Able to work with researchers to analyze IT requirements and produce effective hardware and software solutions, plus train and troubleshoot
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Why Work at Tula
- Great people–we are an engaged, energetic, creative, collaborative team
- Flexible and dynamic work environment with new challenges regularly
- Competitive salary, extended medical benefits, and you’ll have the tools you need to do your work effectively
- Commitment to excellence at all levels
- Learn more at www.tula.org and www.hakai.org
Salary to be negotiated
Competitive Benefits Package
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Please ensure that your cover letter speaks to the Tula Foundation and Hakai Institute, and what our organizations are trying to achieve, and how you would relate to this.
- similar: 5 years (preferred)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: In person