BE PART OF THE TEAM THAT BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER
Career Opportunity: Administrative Assistant – Operations and Supply Chain
Join an organization that plays a critical role in Canada’s economy. At the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority, we focus on doing the incredible work it takes to become the world’s most sustainable port.
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is responsible for the stewardship of the Port of Vancouver, Canada’s largest and most diversified port. Our mandate as a Canada Port Authority, as set out by the Canada Marine Act, is to enable Canada’s trade objectives, ensuring goods are moved safely and responsibly through the Port of Vancouver. That means providing infrastructure and ensuring the safe and efficient movement of marine traffic and cargo within the port. It also means we carry out reviews of proposed activities and developments on federal port lands and waters to determine whether a project can go ahead without impacts to the environment and community that cannot be mitigated.
We are passionate about the work we do and what it contributes to our local communities, the region and our country. This is reflected in our values of collaboration, continuous improvement, accountability, and customer responsiveness.
Be a part of a team that advances initiatives to promote economic prosperity through trade, a healthy environment and thriving communities for the future generations of Canadians. It’s a workplace where the intrinsic value of your contribution to help foster the continued growth of the Canadian economy becomes a tangible reality. Bring your unique strengths, perspectives and experiences to the port authority and join us in charting a course toward a sustainable future.
The Administrative Assistant – Operations and Supply Chain provides administrative support to the Health, Safety, and Security, Supply Chain Optimization, Land Operations, and Marine Operations & Harbour Master departments. As a member of the administrative support team, works with the department members in support of departmental/organizational objectives. As required, this position performs other related duties.
As the Administrative Assistant – Operations and Supply Chain, you will:
- Provide internal and external customer service by actively responding to customer needs, retrieving, and communicating information via telephone, email or in-person or redirect as appropriate.
- Track and enter staff payroll, register employees for conferences/courses, make travel arrangements and prepare expense account claims.
- Compose, proofread, and format correspondence, presentations, and spreadsheets. Assemble, prepare, collate, and distribute as required.
- Facilitate on-boarding and off-boarding procedures for employees. Provide orientation and training on department and corporate processes.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and create procedures and templates to assist with processes. Maintain a bring-forward system and follow-up on routine responsibilities. Prioritize and multi-task assignments to meet deliverables.
- Coordinate purchases using department credit cards and reconcile statement.
- Track financial expenditures, code invoices for payment and assist with the preparation of annual and monthly department operating budgets, variance reports and year-end accruals. Follow-up on routine financial queries.
- Coordinate leave, prepare training and reference materials and cross-train to ensure administrative coverage within division.
- Organize meetings and events, including booking meeting rooms/venues, arranging catering, purchasing gifts, preparing meeting materials. Prepare and mail invitations and coordinate RSVP’s. Communicate details to participants. Take minutes at meetings and distribute them on a timely basis.
- Participate in health and safety initiatives and comply with established policy, procedures, and guidelines to protect yourself and your work colleagues.
The successful candidate will have a high school diploma with a minimum of 1 ½ years of experience as an administrative assistant. Must have excellent keyboarding skills (a minimum of 60 wpm), personal computer proficiency in MS office suite and other related applications. The ability to write routine materials is required.
Must be a customer service-oriented individual with good interpersonal and communication skills. This individual must have excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate tactfully and positively with all contacts, both internal and external, while demonstrating sensitivity to cultural differences. Diplomacy and discretion are key qualities for this individual. Must be a team player with excellent organizational skills and flexibility to manage multiple tasks and changing priorities. Demonstration of initiative, the ability to work independently and the maintenance of accurate and timely work output are essential.
Normal office conditions. As assigned, required to be on site for the provision of Port Pass issuance services, based on a regular ongoing schedule as identified by Security.
The incumbent must obtain and maintain a valid Marine Transportation Security Clearance when specific projects require this position to access restricted areas/information as defined by the Marine Transportation Security Regulations.
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority offers a competitive total compensation package including an earned time off program.
This work is Canadian based employment and expected to be performed from our Vancouver office location.
Please note this posting will remain open until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
At the port authority, we are dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our port community.
Learn more about us at www.portvancouver.com