Retail Warehouse Manager (Operations Manager, Warehouse)
Who we are:
As one of the largest for-profit thrift operators in the United States, Canada and Australia for value priced pre-owned clothing, accessories and household goods, our mission is to champion reuse and inspire a future where secondhand is second nature. We supply our stores with gently used one-of-a-kind items that have been donated by the community to local nonprofit organizations. We purchase these items directly from our nonprofit partners, redirecting billions of pounds of used items away from landfills and on to our store racks and shelves for reuse, and providing our partners with valuable funding for their community-based programs and services. You’ll often hear us say that we are “Thrift Proud.” It’s the millions of loyal customers who visit our 300+ stores and our more than 22,000 team members that make it possible. Learn more about the Savers® family of thrift stores, our impact, and the #ThriftProud movement at savers.com.
Our brands are Savers (in the U.S.), 2nd Ave (in the U.S.), Value Village (in the U.S. and Canada), Unique (in the U.S.), Village des Valeurs (in Quebec) and Savers Australia.
What you can expect:
- The opportunity to celebrate uniqueness. We are made up of people from many different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, all with something special to contribute.
- To work in a purpose-driven company, with a business model that people love for our impact on both the planet and local communities.
- An investment in the career path interests of our people. With our aggressive store expansion plans, we recognize the importance of the continued growth and development of our team members.
What you get:
Comprehensive onboarding and training from day one.
In-house expertise! Our training department / Savers University develops and delivers robust training to every team member across our organization — from new hires to senior executives. We develop around 90% of our training internally, and partner with a variety of renowned providers to supplement our offerings.
Benefits offerings including:
· Comprehensive extended health care plans for full-time Team Members
· Company-Paid Life and AD&D Insurance
· A Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) with a generous company matching provision to assist you in saving for a secure financial future.
· Paid time off from work for leisure or other hobbies
· A range of mental health services to assist you in managing daily life.
What you’ll be working on:
Accountable for the oversight of operations, production initiatives and all processes and teams associated with production, inventory, and distribution for a single warehouse processing center. This includes planning, organizing, and coordinating processing to ensure continuous improvement goals are achievable and met consistently. Manages the production function led by Area Supervisors. The Operations Manager, Warehouse is guided by the Savers Vision and Core Values. Reports to the General Manager.
Processing Performance & Results
- Sets and meets daily performance objectives; manages the production team and maintains production operations with respect to line efficiency, resources, equipment, scheduling, and material utilization. Analyzes production data to identify performance. Works with area supervisors to clearly understand production and sales data, diagnose root cause of performance, identify improvement opportunities, and apply key learnings to achieve improved results in processing and sales.
- Manages production based on sales forecasts, warehouse capacity, and product inventory available.
- Observes and validates effectiveness of work processes and efficiency of labor, all with an eye to maintaining necessary balanced, continuous flow at all times. This includes reviewing and ensuring coordination of the TM schedule to best maximize flow and efficiency. Course corrects as required.
- Collaborates with warehouse supervisors to establish and execute quality control measures to cultivate a continuous improvement mentality on the production floor to yield better processes, encouraging all team members to be quality conscious.
- Liaises with the Area Supervisors to maintain optimal flow.
- Executesthe efficient deployment of the market’s backstock strategy, including product type, timing, and quantity.
- Ensures the Savers recycling program is fully leveraged to reduce landfill and allow for further reuse of un-saleable items.
Facility Oversight & Maintenance:
- Ensures all warehouse machinery is correctly safeguarded against safety hazards and is maintained regularly to ensure good working order; regularly inspects (applying trained knowledge of) warehouse structure/machinery to determine need for repairs/maintenance with a goal of minimizing down-time.
- Escalates equipment issues adversely affecting production to the General Manager.
- Manages the upkeep of supplies to ensure minimal down-time.
Leadership & Development:
- Regularly interacts, trains, coaches, and counsels the production team to maximize processing, quality, safety, and productivity goal attainment. Role models a sense of urgency to achieve desired results.
- Identifies and develops high potential team members for all management positions through on-thejob, guided work.
- Upholds the conditions for active team member engagement, maximizing warehouse team members’ discretionary effort and encouraging them to stay, say, and serve.
- Role models and maintains a respectful, values-driven workplace that adheres to all Savers’ Policies and Procedures.
- Oversees the entire warehouse as acting General Manager in-charge when assigned.
Safety & Loss Prevention:
- Maintains a safe work environment through education, consistent follow up, ensuring policies and procedures are in adherence, and supporting the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC).
- Protects company assets and information by ensuring their safe handling, security, and integrity.
- Proactively promotes loss prevention awareness by upholding procedures and ensuring policies are in place.
What you have:
- Demonstrated ability to handle complex problems that require extensive investigation and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others to accept practices and approaches, and ability to communicate and influence at all levels in the organization. Demonstrated skill with situational leadership and decision making.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Experience in store operations and managing the functions of grading, pricing, sorting, and distribution (internal candidates).
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications
Minimum Required Education, Training and Experience:
- High School diploma; post-Secondary degree/diploma preferred.
- Results-driven retail store management, or industrial management experience
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills Ability to communicate well in both verbal and written forms.
- Ability to observe, assess and coach the work of others.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written and/or verbal form.
- Ability to reason, make decisions, and use independent judgment in various situations.
- Must possess/obtain a forklift trainer certificate (preferred; can be obtained in position)
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry products weighing less than 5 lbs. Will occasionally need to lift and carry products weighing up to 50 lbs. Occasional pushing and pulling of racks/carts weighing 50 to 250 pounds using 4-10 lbs. of force.
- Must be able to Occasionally lift and carry products weighing less than 5 lbs. Will rarely need to lift and carry products weighing up to 50 lbs. Rarely pushing and pulling of racks/carts weighing 50 to 250 pounds using 4 – 10 lbs. of force.
- Occasionally reaching out in various levels/directions to inspect/handle merchandise, validate work processes, train/coach/counsel the team.
- Possess dexterity for complex hand-eye tasks, including keyboarding, writing on documents/forms, merchandise & pricing inspection.
- Occasional standing, frequent walking and stair climbing, stooping, bending, and twisting and rarely kneeling needed to handle &/or inspect merchandise, validate work processes, train/coach/counsel the team.
- Frequently required to read written & electronic documents.
- Continuously needs to hear and verbally communicate in order to interact with and respond to management and team members. Will need to hear requests in person and via intercom and telephone.
- Frequent written communication is required to and from other managers via the use of apps and or text messaging.
- Occasionally exposed to hazardous machinery (compactor, baler, forklift, conveyors, robots), solvents (cleaners, detergents), radiation (Microwave in break room), continuously exposed to dust and frequently exposed to temperature fluctuations.
- Able and willing to safely, cautiously, and efficiently navigate work environment that may include large industrial machinery, heavy equipment and product, elevated and uneven surfaces, and heights, and moving forklifts.
Travel: Will periodically need to drive to meetings or other stores for business purposes.
Location: 3121 Universal Drive, Mississauga, Ontario
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Store discount
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Mississauga, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person