Parlee McLaws LLP is a well-established, mid-size, Alberta law firm with over 135 years of experience. We are looking for an experienced Legal Assistant (Floater) to join our team. This role is located in our Edmonton office.
The schedule for this position is Monday to Friday, 8:00AM – 4:30PM (37.5hours/week) working with team members in Edmonton. This is an in-office position and requires reliability and dependability, first and foremost.
The successful candidate is a self-starter with high attention to detail, a sense of urgency, excellent organizational skills, and the ability learn quickly while supporting busy practices. Experience in litigation and other practice areas, combined with experience with all levels of court are essential.
You will demonstrate elevated efficiency and accuracy while meeting deadlines and providing outstanding customer service for both internal and external clients. If you pride yourself on being organized with keen attention to detail, excellent communication, and the ability to learn quickly, you could be joining our team.
You will deliver on:
- Conducting court searches
- Drafting correspondence, court, and financing legal documents
- Preparing a variety of legal documents including briefs and factums
- Scheduling various applications and questionings
- Managing incoming workflow from a team of lawyers/paralegals
- Calendar management, including coordinating and scheduling meetings
- Preparation of accounts and time entry
- Generating reporting as required
- General administrative tasks including office and file management
- Other tasks as required
- Substantial reliability and adaptability accompanied by a professional demeanor and conduct
- Curious mind with the ability to learn quickly and retain and apply the learning
- At least 4 years of previous experience as a legal assistant
- Post-secondary education from a recognized Legal Assistant/Paralegal program (equivalent experience may be considered)
- Understanding of basic accounting principles
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office programs as well as other software such as Worldox, 3E Elite, Remindex, SpeechExec or other similar programs
- Excellent analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills
- High attention to detail and commitment to producing accurate, high-quality work
- Ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines with a high degree of personal initiative
- Handling of confidential information in an ethical and professional manner
- Effective collaboration and efficiency as a part of a team as well as working independently
- Strong customer service and relationship building skills
- Readily adapts to changing priorities and effectively works in a changing and high-volume work environment
- Possesses problem solving skills with a pro-active mindset
- Fluency in speaking, reading, and writing English (additional language skills are an asset)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including health & dental, health care spending account, pension matching, and paid time off in addition to annual vacation. Our building has an on-site gym as well as other perks. In addition, you can “dress for your day” depending on the day’s responsibilities.
Sound like a good fit? Your application will be confidential and we look forward to hearing from you!
Please send your cover letter and resume in PDF form, via email to the attention of [email protected].
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.