Evans Philp is currently seeking an experienced Accident Benefits (AB) Lawyer to join our firm. As an AB Lawyer, you will be responsible for the direct handling of accident benefit disputes on behalf of our clients.
- Work with autonomy in your practice and collaborate with other high-performing team of lawyers, and legal support professionals
- Help Evans Philp achieve strategic goals on behalf of our clients
- Meet billing targets (fees, billable and billed hours)
- Building and maintaining positive and professional working relationships with current and prospective clients
- Adhere to all applicable regulations/requirements and timelines/deadlines as required by the Law Society of Ontario and our clients
- Meet client demands and expectations on reporting
- Delivering a work product that is free from error and properly assesses risk
- Timely and accurate correspondence with clients, ensuring they are in receipt of all documentation, as it is received, that impacts the risk assessment
- Providing clients with courteous, strategic, thorough and prompt service, that is competent, timely, conscientious, diligent, efficient and civil
- Handle files of varying complexities from beginning to end
- Assess claims with a focus on controlling indemnity but, at the same time, be pragmatic with a view to proactive and efficient resolution
- Support and contribute to all Evans Philp initiatives to create a positive work culture
- Share knowledge and provide on-going coaching and support to your colleagues and administrative team
- Other duties as assigned
What you bring to the table:
- Strong organization, communication and negotiation skills that will help you manage a busy practice, including working effectively with legal support staff including legal assistants, law clerks, and administrative support employees
- Strong interpersonal skills, a natural ability to work collaboratively with others and to build effective client relationships that will make you a great team player and contribute to the positive work environment
- An ability to think outside the box, find novel solutions and be a pragmatic problem solver
The ideal candidate is/has:
- A member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- 8+ years of experience
- Proven experience in assessing and handling Accident Benefits files
- Experience at the Licence Appeal Tribunal
- Experience in attending arbitrations would be considered an asset
- Experience handling catastrophic accident benefit claims is an asset
- Proficient and comfortable with digital solutions in the practice of law
- Competency with drafting pleadings, research and analysis, and preparing for and conducting mediations and all litigation steps up to and including hearings and private arbitrations
- Excellent communication and negotiator skills
Evans, Philp LLP is a midsize law firm with a reputation of delivering high quality general and specialized legal services to our clients in the insurance industry for the past 100 years. Located in the downtown core of Hamilton, Ontario, our office is easily accessible by public transit, making it an ideal location for Hamiltonians and commuters alike!
Offering opportunities for mentorship, community involvement and flexibility (including work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic) – as well as some awesome perks and no shortage of work – Evans, Philp is desirable work environment for any legal professional, and we’re looking to add to our highly skilled legal team! If you are an associate with 8-10 years of experience in insurance law, we want to hear from you!
Evans, Philp is committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have any special requirements, please let us know during the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Supplemental pay types:
Work from home.
Masks worn in office at all times
98% Vaccinated rate of workforce
- Member good standing, Law Society of Canadian jurisdiction (required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19