Toronto 5 + Years
Litigation Legal Assistant/Paralegal
Our client, a national tax law firm who provides tax advise to domestic and international clients alike, who’s practice encompasses all aspects of taxation including tax planning and restructuring, tax litigation at all court levels and advise on compliance obligations is looking to add a Litigation Assistant/Paralegal to their dynamic team.
- Prepare draft pleadings, court documents, memoranda and routine correspondence. Revise standard and complex legal documents and correspondence as instructed.
- Troubleshoot and repair problems with corrupt and/or converted documents.
- Prepare transcription of written or recorded documents.
- Compile documents such as Motion Records, Affidavit of Documents, Factums, and Appeal Book.
- Arrange for service and filing of documents with the court.
- Enter dockets, prepare monthly accounts and expense reports for review and approval.
- Organize and maintain client filing system (both paper and electronic) and ensure records are up to date in the firm’s document management system.
- Maintain and update calendar and contact information. Arrange flight schedules and travel itineraries as requested.
- Other administrative responsibilities as required including greeting clients, answering incoming calls, photocopying, scanning, collecting and sorting mail, binding documents, cheque requisitions, and assisting with boardroom set up.
- Provide back-up/relief to the Office Administrator as required.
Attributes & Experience
- Legal secretary/assistant certificate/diploma or paralegal designation.
- Minimum 5 years previous experience as a litigation legal assistant.
- Experience with class action and civil cases required.
- Excellent knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure, as well as with procedures in various courts.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Experience working in a document management system.
- Strong client service orientation combined with the ability to manage multiple client needs at the same time.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail, efficient and organized. Proactive and takes initiative.
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Flexibility to occasionally work overtime.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: In person