BLANEY MCMURTRY LLP
Employment and Labour Litigation Law Clerk
Why work at Blaney McMurtry LLP?
Blaney McMurtry LLP is a multi-service 120+ lawyer firm, based in the heart of downtown Toronto. For more than sixty-five years, we have helped clients overcome challenges and seize opportunities through our continuing commitment to achieving results and building relationships. We seek exceptional individuals who take pride in their work and know the importance of excellent client service.
Our motto is “Expect the Best” and that goes both ways. At Blaneys, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace that respects and supports all our staff. We offer a competitive salary based on experience and paid vacation. Your well-being is very important to us, and this is why we offer an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental, as well as an Employee Assistance Program. If you would like to gain new skills, we have abundant training and professional development opportunities to help to achieve your personal and professional goals.
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Employment and Labour Litigation Law Clerk. In this position, you will participate in the day-to-day handling of employment and labour matters. You will provide support to a team of lawyers and legal assistants and your responsibilities will include, but not limited to the drafting and assembly of correspondence and court documents, calendar management, and communications with legal professionals, clients, court staff, and other business professionals on routine issues. The ideal candidate for this position has a strong work ethic, exceptional problem-solving skills, and is comfortable working within a team. Blaney McMurtry LLP is passionate about what we do, and we are looking for someone who shares our passion to join our team.
What you will be doing:
· Prepare correspondence, pleading, and other legal documents
· Drafting/proofreading, serving, and filing legal documents
· Ability to prepare various correspondence, Affidavit of Documents, Motion Records, Mediation Memos
· Ability to schedule Examinations for Discovery, various court appearances efficiently, other meetings and manage calendars
· Assist with preparation for trials and arbitrations
· Assist with docketing, billing, and cheque requisitions
· Managing files through all stages of the legal process
· Preparing special reports including gathering and summarizing data
· Maintaining physical and electronic document system
· Exercising initiative and judgement to relieve lawyers of administrative detail
· Working with various legal software and strong experience using MatterSphere
· Opening and closing files
· Other duties as assigned
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills, stellar organization skills, accurate and quality work are an ideal fit for this position
· 3+ years of law clerk experience working in labour and employment law with a specific focus on litigation
· Working knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure and court procedures
· Knowledge of applicable provincial and federal laws including, but not limited to the Ontario Labour Relations Act, Employment Standards Act, Canada Labour Code, and Health and Safety Act
· Ability to manage a large volume of documents and work in a fast-paced environment
· Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to be resourceful and work with minimal instruction or supervision
· Must have experience supporting Partners, Lawyers with a busy practice
· Strong Initiative and follow up skills
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
· Solutions-focused and tech-savvy
· Willingness to learn
· Attention to detail
· Maintain strict confidentiality
· Prioritizing workflow and managing critical details
· Completion of a Law Clerk Diploma is an asset
Interested applicants should apply here. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. This position will require full time in office attendance for the first 6 weeks of employment, and then you will be eligible for hybrid - 3 days scheduled in office, 2 days from home if applicable.
If you require any accommodation in the application process, please contact us. Blaney McMurtry is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your interest.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- How many years of experience do you have working as an employment litigation law clerk?
Work Location: In person