We believe our superpower is our people. Success factors for this role include technical design, planning, implementation, and the highest performance tuning and recovery procedures for mission-critical enterprise systems, including virtual machines (VM) and related infrastructure. Serves as a technical expert in the area of system administration for complex operating systems. The System Administrator will be responsible for daily administration and support for the organization's computer and cloud systems, including server management, collaboration services, VMware vSphere, Hyper-V, Microsoft Azure environment design and management. The person will also provide technical support for oracle DB 10g to 19c in Unix/Linux environments ensuring 24/7 uptime.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Design, install, support, and maintain Windows, Linux, and VMware-based servers, Active Directory, Domain operations, Oracle, and other systems. Installs, configures, monitors, troubleshoots, and replaces virtual server and desktop infrastructures, along with physical infrastructure.
- Administer and support core Microsoft and VMware technologies. Design and support a VMware cluster environment consisting of local data centers, including backup and data security.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems, and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying the completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Responds to events such as system reboots, outages, server alerts, and complex system alerts.
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or College Diploma- Information Technology, MIS, or related field
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert: Server Infrastructure (MCSE: Server Infrastructure) or VMWare Certified Professional
- 5+ years’ experience with progressively more responsibility, including a wide range of server/networking activities.
- 2+ years experience working with Red Hat Linux
- 2+ years of experience with Oracle that includes the installation, upgrading, and patching
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience working with virtual machines. (e.g., Microsoft Hyper-V, VMWare vSphere, Citrix XenDesktop/Server, Microsoft Azure).
- Experience with backups, proficient in system backups and restores/recoveries from disks/virtual/cloud.
- Experience or understanding of working in a technical environment requiring SOX compliance.
- Experience working using automated deployment and maintenance technologies.
- Knowledge of operating systems, current equipment and technologies in use; VMWare, Linux, and Microsoft systems administration; enterprise backup and recovery procedures; and system performance monitoring tools.
- Experience working with oracle 10g through to 19c.
- Backup strategies and disaster recovery that uses RMAN.
- Performance monitoring and tuning with the ability to build custom scripts.
- Hand-on experience with Oracle Advanced Security features
- Strong logical and physical DB design skills, which includes indexing, partitioning (newest features), etc.
- Knowledge of basic UNIX administration (user, groups, resources utilization, etc.)
- Strong knowledge in Patch Management, Anti-Malware/Anti-Virus, and Software Deployments
- Direct experience in a 24/7 production setting is strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills are required. Must have the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel and to represent the organization publicly.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team required.
- Ability to cope with high levels of stress and able to handle a heavy workload.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $30.00-$40.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- IT system administration: 5 years (required)
- Oracle: 2 years (preferred)
- Linux: 2 years (preferred)
Ability to Commute:
- Hamilton, ON L8H 3K3 (preferred)
Ability to Relocate:
- Hamilton, ON L8H 3K3: Relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person