F. Trottier Construction Ltd. (FTC) is seeking a skilled and organized Legal Administrative Assistant to join our dynamic team of professionals. If you are a detail-oriented and proactive individual with a passion for supporting legal functions in a fast-paced construction environment, we want to hear from you.
At FTC, we are dedicated to excellence in construction and project management. As a leading general contractor in the industry, we take pride in delivering high-quality projects on time and within budget. Our legal team plays a vital role in ensuring that we operate with integrity and compliance. We are looking for a Legal Administrative Assistant who shares our commitment to excellence and who will thrive in our collaborative and innovative work environment.
What you'll do:
The legal administrative assistant will work closely with the construction director to ensure the company’s operations and projects are in compliance with relevant laws, regulations, and contractual agreements. The incumbent will manage legal documentation, contracts, permits and handle various legal matters related to constructions projects.
- Assist in drafting, reviewing, and managing contracts, including construction agreements, subcontractor agreements, vendor contracts, and client agreements. Ensure that contracts are legally sound and aligned with company policies.
- Organize and maintain legal documents, agreements, permits, licenses, and other relevant paperwork in a systematic and easily accessible manner.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with municipal, provincial, and federal laws, regulations, and industry standards that pertain to construction operations, environmental regulations, safety protocols, and labor laws.
- Facilitate the acquisition of necessary permits, licenses, and approvals for construction projects. Coordinate with regulatory authorities and government agencies to ensure compliance.
- Ability to deal with difficult clients, de-escalate and diffuse challenging situations, and successfully resolve customer issues in a diplomatic and professional manner
- Review conformance of documents to codes
- Conduct legal research on construction-related matters, industry trends, and case law to provide informed advice to the legal team and project managers.
- Monitor emails, assess priorities, gather relevant information, take appropriate action, and prepare responses.
- Update Calendars, including meetings, appointments, due dates and client related activities
- Identify potential legal risks and issues associated with construction projects and propose mitigation strategies to minimize legal exposure.
- Gather case evidence and documentation by preparing files and inputting information from records, statements, and other documentation.
- Assist in managing and resolving legal disputes, claims, and litigation related to construction projects. Collaborate with external legal counsel as needed.
- Serve as a point of contact between the project managers, contractors, vendors, and other stakeholders to relay legal information and ensure clear communication.
- Assist in negotiating contract amendments, change orders, claims, and variations to accommodate project changes and ensure legal compliance.
- Compile data and information required for legal reporting, audits, and compliance assessments. Prepare documentation for internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive legal matters and information while handling various legal documents and communications.
- Conduct training sessions or workshops to raise legal awareness among project teams and employees, focusing on legal best practices and compliance.
- Other duties as assigned
What you'll bring to the table
- Bachelor’s degree in law, Legal Studies, or a related field.
- Previous experience in a legal administrative role, preferably within the construction industry.
- Familiarity with construction contracts, regulations, and industry standards.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in legal research tools and software.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of local and regional construction laws and regulations.
- High level of discretion and confidentiality.
- Self-directed and can work independently with minimal supervision.
- Detail oriented.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and legal software tools.
- Ability to perform well under pressure.
What's in it for you?
- Training and development program
- RRSP match
- Group Benefits including drug coverage, extended health, dental & vision.
- AD&D Insurance
- Life & Travel Insurance
- Access to virtual doctors
- Company events
- Access to company vehicles
- On-site parking
- A team orientated and collaborative environment
FTC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. There shall be no discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, race, religion or belief, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, or sexual orientation.
We are an inclusive organization and actively promote equality of opportunity for all with the right mix of talent, skills and potential. We welcome all applications from a wide range of candidates. Selection for roles will be based on individual merit alone.”
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $23.00-$28.00 per hour
Expected hours: 40 per week
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Ottawa, ON K1K 1G6: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- English (required)
- French (preferred)
Work Location: In person