The Patent Agent will be fully responsible for the patent portfolio in the ATS Life Science Systems business based in Cambridge, Ontario. In this role, you will be emersed in the innovation team in order to ensure that the patent portfolio is developing in order to support business and innovation strategy, and to manage IP-related risks associated with innovation.
- Working alongside our innovation team to identify and evaluate patent candidates.
- Deriving claiming strategy for each patent candidate, instructing external counsel on drafting, and reviewing patent applications prior to filing.
- Driving informed decision-making throughout patent lifecycle in support of budget optimization, including prosecution and maintenance decisions.
- Working with external counsel on patent prosecution around the world to ensure that allowed patent claims are aligned with our business strategy.
- Maintaining ongoing competitive awareness of both competitor’s patent portfolio and commercial offerings.
- Working alongside our innovation team to ensure third-party infringement risks are properly identified and mitigated.
- Working alongside our commercial team to monitor competitive commercial offerings for potential infringement of our patents, and performing infringement analysis.
- Working alongside our strategy and leadership team to provide patent-related inputs to business strategy.
- Providing patent education and information to the business.
- Maintaining ongoing awareness of changes to patent laws in jurisdictions of interest, including Canada, US, and Europe.