ELIGIBILITY FOR THIS COMPETITION IS RESTRICTED TO STEP 1 CANDIDATES INCLUDING OPS ALOC AND OCAA LAWYERS
living or working within 125 km of this location. Note: Eligible lawyers from outside the Area of Search may apply but will not be entitled to relocation or travel expenses for the transfer as set out below.
Step 1: All regular/fixed-term OCAA and ALOC lawyers on staff, current Redeployment List Members and current Articling Student Hireback Pool Members.
Step 2: In the absence of qualified applicants at Step 1 the competition may be reposted so that external applicants or non-members of the above-mentioned groups would then be eligible to apply.
The Ministry of the Attorney General is seeking an experienced Litigation Counsel to join the Legal Services Branch, Ministry of Finance to assist with tax litigation.
This position may require travel throughout the province periodically..
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the "How to apply" section if you require a disability-related accommodation.
Duties will include:
- Representing the Ministry of Finance in proceedings, including actions, applications, appeals under provincial taxing statutes, and applications for judicial review in various levels of court
- Providing legal services to the Ministry of Finance by giving both oral and written advice on a variety of provincial tax matters
- Providing written and oral legal opinions on interpretation of tax statutes
Membership in good standing as a lawyer with the Law Society of Ontario
- Demonstrated experience in litigation and advocacy
- Knowledge of provincial taxing statutes, the Rules of Civil Procedure, Judicial Review Procedure Act, Crown Liability and Proceedings Act, rules of evidence;
- Proven judgment and analytical ability
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication and computer skills,
- Demonstrated legal research experience
- Demonstrated judgment, communications and interpersonal skill
- Experience and ability to handle multiple tasks while working under tight deadlines
- Proven analytical skills in dealing with complex issues