Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
The Communication Business Partner role is part of our Integrated Marketing & Communication (IMC) team and serves as an embedded partner for our People & Culture department (i.e., Human Resources). This is a significant role on our IMC team as People & Culture is our largest and closest partner in the business. As part of Definity, the People & Culture team is accountable for making insurance better by creating a better employee experience. Strategic focus areas include hybrid employee experience; total rewards; inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility; employer brand; and talent acquisition & development.
As such, this role has accountability for a diverse portfolio of work that operates across the company. We’re in search of a highly professional communication advisor, collaborator, and content expert comfortable with executive engagement, leader alignment, and translating priorities into meaningful communication plans and programs.
Reporting to the AVP, Integrated Marketing & Communication (IMC), this role oversees strategic and operational initiatives with the extended executional support of the IMC team.
- Serve as strategic partner to advise People & Culture leaders on optimal communication and creative marketing approaches for various priorities and initiatives and act as the primary point of contact and content lead
- Collaborate to deliver a comprehensive communication and marketing strategy for People & Culture that meets business goals, supports business as usual People & Culture programs, and aligns to Definity’s corporate narrative and employer brand, with the support of the IMC leadership team and key channel experts
- Collaborate on governance, prioritization, and project management with key peers and internal client stakeholders to ensure the mutual needs and expectations of the People & Culture and IMC teams are delivered upon
- Combine subject matter understanding, communication expertise, marketing expertise, and organizational knowledge to deliver strategic, professional communication and marketing counsel and collateral to senior leadership, functional leadership, and departmental teams
- Chair the IMC for People & Culture working group to contribute to the development of comprehensive integrated marketing and communication strategies and plans that support the execution of People & Culture programs, goals, and objectives. To deliver on these plans, work across IMC functions including employee communication, public & media relations, social media, brand, marketing, and translation
- Independently and with the support of senior leadership, participate in strategic meetings with senior leaders, including attending the Human Resources Leadership Team meetings on a regular basis
- Champion a consistent voice and ensure key strategic messages and plans are developed and implemented to achieve People & Culture business goals; brief in project teams and act as first reviewer for strategic collateral
- Track progress and effectiveness using measurement and clear metrics to demonstrate business value achieved through marketing or communication programs
- Provide monthly activity reports and quarterly performance summaries to the Human Resources Leadership Team
- Actively contribute and align People & Culture updates and priorities to corporate narrative and employer brand initiatives
- Initiate and maintain strong collaborative working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in communication, marketing, or other related discipline
- Experience and confidence working with, negotiating with, and advising leaders at executive and management levels on communication and marketing strategy
- You are a skilled storyteller with 7-10 years of progressive communication and marketing work experience, with proven ability to develop creative, compelling, and engaging narrative
- Strategic capability to develop and implement innovative and relevant messaging frameworks and programs, dealing with employee experience and employer brand topics
- Ability to manage and influence various stakeholder groups, internal clients, and working partners
- Proactive and self-motivated. Works independently, and manages effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to build fruitful and trusting work relationships; with the capacity to influence others across the organization
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills. Ideally with previous experience in the insurance or financial services, and working in collaboration with or supporting HR in large, national organizations
- Resilience and ability to enjoy working, managing, and implementing multiple projects and tasks with a variety of cross-functional stakeholders
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
Hybrid work schedule for most roles
Company share ownership program
Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
Wellness and recognition programs
Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).