Requisition ID: 38571
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Systems Analyst II will perform a dual role. As a project manager, they manage projects from business analysis through to organizational change including the management of project budgets. As a Systems Analyst, they will work with clients to identify and document requirements, conduct business and technical specification studies, deliver and support specific business applications. Working as an internal consultant, the Systems Analyst is expected to use their knowledge of the best-of-breed processes and procedures in business applications to recommend changes to business processes across the City. The GIS Systems Analyst position has access to confidential information and makes recommendations for changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing work loads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Project Management
- Responsible for formulating software solutions to meet requirements as outlined by management and/or other departments, ensuring that the information systems, applications and database architectures support current needs, while providing a foundation for the future
- Ensure projects are effectively managed, ensuring delivery on time, to specification, and within budget
- Provide technical direction, leadership and guidance to project team members
- Provides technical and administrative direction on software development projects ensuring effective and innovative solutions that meet the business requirements while adhering to appropriate governance policies such as FOIP
- Provide project documentation related to developing and maintaining the project charter, project plan, budget, risk management plans, issues logs, change request log, statements of work, documented business procedures, project communications (web page), business cases, council reports and Steering Committee status reports.
- Systems Analyst
- Perform detailed analysis of business requirements, translate them into system requirements, identify project phases and produce a project plan. Communicate, and liaise with project team members and key stakeholders
- Consults with customers to understand and document their requirements. Develops systems alternatives including work procedure changes, and recommends the most suitable alternative to assist customers in meeting their operational requirements
- Business Process Review:
- Analyzes and reviews departmental business processes; prepares recommendations, including business cases where appropriate, on the feasibility of computerization or redesign of computerized applications, or redesign of business processes; prepares estimates of costs and staff resources for implementation and ongoing sustainment of the technology solution
- Configuration & User Acceptance Testing:
- Lead in defining business/system configuration requirements and user acceptance testing. This will entail confirming the application supports the business specification requirements through an extensive user acceptance testing cycle (develop acceptance criteria, scripts, test, log deficiencies, and retest for final user acceptance and sign-off)
- Support to identify, develop, coordinate, and deliver training courses and materials to identified multiple training populations (pre and post implementation)
- Go Live and Post-Implementation Support:
- Coach end users in adoption and use of the application
- Uses knowledge of best-of-breed business processes and practices inherent in business applications to identify opportunities to improve operational effectiveness and recommend changes to the business units
- Technology Planning:
- Remains current with architecture and developments in new GIS and other technologies, including trends, releases, enhancements/new functionality and best-of-breed business processes and practice
- Provides technical assistance for the upgrading of business applications, the implementation of other business applications, including integration with other applications
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
- Makes recommendations for changes in policies, methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing work loads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels
- Develop and maintain test scripts and scenarios to ensure adequate testing of system configuration and integration with GIS
- Perform testing of problem fixes, configuration changes, enhancements and new functionality in order to ensure system integrity and proper integration with GIS
- Provides problem resolution for calls referred by Help Desk
- Investigate and follow up on system errors/problems. Liaise with the vendors as required to resolve these issues
- Delivers presentations to customers (users, depts) and technical staff on the GIS processes, systems solutions and specific technologies
- Provides corporate and departmental reporting support. Assists in the use of existing reports and develops/documents additional reports as required
- Participates in the development of new standards
- Has access to highly sensitive and business critical data from City departments
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Computer Science, Business Administration, GIS, or related field with preference for graduate degree in Computer Science or Business Administration
- 5 years of experience in developing and implementing business applications
- Or a combination of suitable experience and education
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current trends, standards, and products in Information Technology and GIS
- Knowledge and ability to apply business analysis and system design techniques
- Extensive knowledge of municipal business processes
- Demonstrated operational and project management skills: results focused, team oriented
- Broad knowledge across multiple aspects of the business (i.e.: organizational structure, key players, current business processes and supporting systems and services, etc.)
- Thorough knowledge of related corporate applications and work procedures
- Thorough knowledge of GIS systems development, support and maintenance
- Thorough knowledge of client server and web technologies
- Thorough knowledge of application reporting tools
- Experience with IT enterprise architecture
- Thorough knowledge of database/information design and management
- Thorough knowledge of system integration between business applications and across technical platforms
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent oral, written and presentation/facilitation skills, with ability to communicate at all levels within the organization
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and team members to provide advice, information and assistance
- Working knowledge of office productivity tools (e.g. Windows, MS Office, etc.)
- Capable of handling business critical and sensitive information in a position of trust
- Demonstrated ability to work with technical and non-technical staff
- Willingness to learn and to be exposed to new technologies and environments
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2023
Position End Date: November, 2024
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-080: $89,283 to $111,609 per year
Application Close: June 7, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.