The Manager, Marketing and Communications will lead the development and execution of modern marketing and communication strategies that align with Hospitality Services’ strategic vision and mission. They will work closely with the Operations team and the Senior Leadership Team to develop creative, modern, timely and insightful brand collateral and content for the Hospitality Services department, while consistently leading the exploration and adoption of innovative communication strategies.
Reporting jointly to the Director, Hospitality Services and the Senior Manager of Operations, the incumbent will creatively and collaboratively lead departmental efforts around strategic marketing and communications. This includes but not limited to, integrated marketing and communications campaigns, content strategy and execution, along with social media, website and analytics management, and production across digital platforms, print, graphic media, and video. Strategic and informational communications also include the Hospitality employee group.
The Manager, Marketing and Communications will develop a deep understanding of our audiences to create marketing initiatives that optimize the dissemination and impact of key messages across these platforms, while working collaboratively across the entire Hospitality Services department to ensure departmental consistency and alignment with the University’s brand standards. This position will include the supervision and development of a team comprised of full and part-time staff.
The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker with sound judgement, decision-making and project management skills, and is highly regarded for their exceptional interpersonal, research and writing skills. They have demonstrated an integrated and inclusive approach to your work, to achieve key goals.
- Provides strategic counsel to the senior leadership team on complex and sensitive crises pertaining to brand as well as public, guests, campus partners, and student perceptions of Hospitality Services.
- Acts as Hospitality Services’ direct liaison with McMaster Communication Marketing and Public Affairs team. Maintains confidentiality as they lead Hospitality Services’ strategic communications timely responses to internal and external media requests, crisis communications and other reputational management activities.
- Directly supports the Director in the creation of speaking notes, speeches, and presentations for internal and external events.
- Executes HR responsibilities including hiring, training, monitoring quantity and quality of work performed, performance management, progressive discipline/discharge, participation in grievance proceedings, and maintenance of confidential staff files.
- Represents the department and McMaster on a variety on internal and external committees.
- Presents on behalf of the department at specified conferences.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
Strategy and Planning:
- Serves as an active and valued member of the Hospitality Services Leadership team with specific responsibility for the development, implementation, and evaluation of annual and three-year strategic plans for the marketing and communication initiatives.
- Leads development of audience segmentation, brand positioning, and messaging development for a wide array of internal and external stakeholders.
- Manages, writes, and produces a variety of internal and external communications across all media platforms (written, visual, multimedia) for various channels of delivery on campus, promoting services, resources, and activities.
- Remains current with marketing trends, developments in new technologies and social media platforms, in addition to Canadian and international government legislation, ethical standards, and policy documents which relate to marketing, data collection, privacy, and accessibility.
- Develops, coordinates, and implements work plans to execute various strategic initiatives and objectives for the communication and promotion of all Hospitality Services’ audiences.
- Leads strategic planning and event management of in-person recruitment events such as Fall Preview and May at Mac.
Internal Employee Communications:
- Champions the Hospitality Services culture through department-wide event planning and ongoing communications efforts, as well as training and professional development activities in keeping with the cultural direction of the department.
- Stays abreast of accomplishments, projects, and events within Hospitality Services and communicates this information to appropriate internal and external parties through submittals and articles.
The following knowledge and skills would be an asset:
- Strong management skills with an ability to manage in a very complex service environment using sound judgement.
- Established relationships and networks in communications.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional research and writing skills.
- Sound judgement and decision-making.
- Understanding of how to prepare content for diverse audiences.
- Proficiency and experience with online communications tools and social media.
- Demonstrated success in areas of strategic internal and external communications and organizing events in line with organizational culture.
- Understanding of diverse media channels including new media and evolving digital environments
- Ability to lead teams and effectively contribute to a team. Excellent oral communication skills.
- Understanding and exposure to project and time management principles, McMaster University policies and guidelines.
- Experience with strategic planning, project management, and time management.