The Human Resources Generalist is accountable for the daily Human Resources functions and provides guidance and best practices to all level employees on HR matters, including but not limited to: employee relations, labour relations, policy development, regulatory compliance, health and safety, employee engagement, performance management, WSIB and leaves management. The Human Resources Generalist will help drive key HR initiatives to ensure they are aligned with the Agency’s strategic goals and values.
We are looking for:
a full -time, contract Human Resources Generalist (18 Months)
Commensurate with experience
Hours of Work:
34 hours per week. This role is hybrid work from home.
The Interim Human Resources Manager.
Human Resources Operations
- Provide consultation and support regarding the interpretation of HR programs, policies, practices, and procedures.
- Conduct research and provide recommendations to support HR programs and policy design or enhancements.
- Navigate HRIS (Dayforce) to provide timely support to people leaders and employees.
- Analyze HR metrics through consistent and effective tracking of key statistics including employee headcount and turnover rates.
- Manage employee status changes, contract extensions, off-boarding, and partner with Payroll to process all changes and ensure accurate documentation.
- Conduct employee exit interviews, identify trends and provide recommendations for effective change.
Employee and Labour Relations
- Provide proactive guidance and support on a full range of HR related matters including workplace conflict, employee conduct, performance management, progressive discipline, termination, attendance management etc.
- Conduct timely and thorough investigations including participating in fact-finding meetings, recommending approved courses of action and preparing reports, related correspondence and present summary of findings.
- Provide expertise and guidance on labour relations matters arising from the administration, interpretation, and communication of the Collective Agreement and employment legislation.
- Supports people leaders in addressing complex labour relation and employee relations issues while fostering positive working relationships between management and union.
WSIB, Health & Safety
- Perform duties as a member of the Joint Health and Safety Committee including conducting monthly Health and Safety inspections of office, supporting Health and Safety investigations including working with the MLTSD for field visits, and other related matters.
- Partner with the Health & Safety, Wellness Specialist on the agency’s health and safety initiatives.
- Investigate workplace injuries and illnesses and provide recommendations to improve safety within the agency.
- Manage WSIB injury and illness claims including submission of documentation and liaise with WSIB Case Managers and Return to Work Specialists to follow up on ill or injured employees.
- Lead the accommodation process through planning, implementing, and coordinating modified duties, safe and early return to work programs with employees, people leaders, and union employees.
- Analyze WSIB metrics to identify key injury/illness trends and compare data against similar agencies in the health care sector.
- Partner with agency’s paralegal to process appeals applications, prepare submissions, and participate in WSIAT hearings.
- Provide support as needed for WSIB’s Health & Safety Excellence Program.
Team Building and Leadership
- Provide leadership and mentorship to HR Co-Op students and ensure they meet the HR Department needs and goals of the organization.
- Models leadership behaviors consistent with Circle of Care’s values, including a relentless focus on person-centered care, excellence, accountability, collaboration, equity and innovation.
- Develops and sustains a workplace culture that embodies open and transparent communication, a person centered focus, learning and innovation, accountability for achievement, teamwork, and respect.
- Promotes team effectiveness, and proactively address morale, cooperation, and productivity issues.
- Build rapport with other team members to ensure a high performing team.
Relationships with Internal and External Partners
- Collaborate with other internal and external stakeholders as applicable.
- Work with various departments to achieve organizational goals and objectives through problem solving, collaboration, and mutual understanding.
- Actively participate with the HR team collaborating with, and providing solutions/support to HR team members and employees across other departments to achieve strategic goals and objectives.
- Lead and/or participate on cross-functional project teams to lend skills, competence and professional knowledge and expertise.
Risk, Health and Safety Management
- Participating in health and safety processes and procedures
- Participating in maintaining a safe workplace environment by cultivating a positive safety culture and encouraging best practices to promote both staff and client safety and well-being
- Participating in all health and safety training initiatives on a regular basis
- Taking proactive action against client incidents within your scope of practice
- Protecting the wellbeing of staff by providing a safe and healthy working environment.
- Promoting a culture of safety by being responsible for encouraging blame-free reporting.
- Investigating adverse events by performing a root cause analysis and gathering all relevant information as it pertains to the event.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in a Human Resources Generalist role
- Experience in WSIB claims management an asset
- Experience working in a unionized environment an asset
- College or University Degree in Human Resources Management
- CHRL certified with active membership in HRPA
- Experience in the non-for-profit sector, unionized environment and community health care is an asset.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of current legislations, collective agreements where applicable and best HR practices
- Strong working knowledge and experience in WSIB Case Management
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, interpret and administer HR policies involving a variety of situations
- Proven ability to provide effective recommendations to solve HR related issues related to regulations, laws, and policies.
- Strong knowledge and experience with labour and employee relation issues with the demonstrated ability to foster positive, working relationships between management and union.
- Excellent analytical, oral, written, communication, interpersonal and team working skills
- Exceptional customer service and time management skills
- Ability to use good judgement when assessing difficult situations
- Ability to perform routine work independently
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel Powerpoint, and Outlook), HRIS and ATS (Dayforce)
- Ability to work independently
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
Circle of Care is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees, volunteers and clients feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live and serve, and creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential. Circle of Care seeks applicants who embrace our values of equity, anti-racism, and inclusion. As such, we encourage applications from candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including but not limited to those who identify as First Nations, Métis and/or Inuit/Inuk, Black, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.
We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation, please inform us in advance.
We thank you for your interest in Circle of Care. We welcome you to apply for this role, even if you do not meet every requirement listed. Only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Circle of Care requires that all employees, students and volunteers provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination upon hire.
Powered by people. Sparked by passion. Circle of Care is made up of staff, students, and volunteers who bring energy and purpose, every day.